What is an Architectural Technologist?

The Architectural Technologist, also known as a Building Technologist, provides building design services and solutions and is trained in architectural technology, building design and construction. Architectural Technologists apply the science of architecture and typically concentrate on the technology of building, design and construction. They can or may negotiate the construction project, and manage the process from conception through to completion.

Most architectural technologists are employed in architectural and engineering firms, or with municipal authorities; but many also provide independent professional services directly to clients.  Others work in product development or sales with manufacturers.

Most provinces in Canada have an association representing architectural technologists and technicians. currently in BC there are two bodies that represent this professional group which are;

  •  AIBC – The Architectural Institute of British Columbia
  • ASTTBC – Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia

The AIBC, regulate the profession with the title Architectural Technologist AIBC.

The ASTTBC also regulates the profession with the title Applied Science Technologist or as Certified Technician which includes Architectural Technologists, Technicians and building designers.  The ASTTBC also provides certification for many other technical specialists including public works, construction safety, fire protection, property inspection, steel detailing, septic, and many other disciplines.

The two professional groups are at odds with each other regarding the Architectural / Building Technologists, Technicians and Designers.  The AIBC is on the view of “One Act – One Association”, and the ASTTBC does not support this view.

More Posts